Community Educator (Part time) Yarmouth / Tri Counties Area
The Youth Project is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to providing support and services to youth, 25 and under, around issues of sexual orientation and gender identity. We are currently seeking a passionate and committed individual for the position of Community Educator in the Yarmouth area.
- Facilitate interactive educational workshops on sexual orientation, gender identity, homophobia and transphobia in schools and community organizations.
- Tailor workshop activities and subjects to different audiences.
- Work with the Education Coordinator to arrange and schedule workshops.
- Represent the Youth Project positively, primarily in schools.
- Facilitate LGBTQ youth events and support within the community.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Strong knowledge of sexual orientation and gender identity and the role they play in the lives of young people.
- An understanding of homophobia, transphobia and heterosexism as well as racism, sexism, ageism, ableism and other forms of oppression and how they work together and affect the lives of young people.
- Good communication skills and experience in workshop facilitation and public speaking.
- Must value and utilize non-judgmental, non-confrontational participant centered learning.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours (may include some evenings and weekends)
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Willingness to travel throughout Southern NS and to Halifax.
- Knowledge of Nova Scotia’s education system
- Ability to bring a two spirit or racialized perspective to the education workshops
As an organization serving youth around issues of sexual orientation and gender identity, the Youth Project recognizes and values lived experience as a member of communities facing discrimination. We encourage applicants to self-identify if you are a member of the LGBTQ+ community and/or a member of other groups facing discrimination.
This is a part time contract position for 18 hours per week, starting ASAP, and running through to March 30, 2017 with a strong possibility of continuing to the end of the school year. Further contracts may be possible but are dependent on funding.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to Kelly McNeil, Education Coordinator at email@example.com