If accepted into the Ally Network, you will be expected to adhere to the following terms and guidelines that go with being an Ally to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth. These suggestions are not all that is involved in being an Ally but are very important in providing a safe space where lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth can discuss their feelings and issues without fear of discrimination, negative reaction or betrayal of trust.
If I am accepted into the Ally Network, I will agree to uphold the following guidelines with respect to providing a safe space to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth:
• I am aware that joining the Ally Network is a commitment to continue learning and practicing to become a better Ally.
• I am aware that the Ally card and being party of the Ally Network signifies me as a safe person only and does not reflect the attitudes and beliefs of other co-workers, residents, or occupants of my space. I will therefore place the card in my own work space or otherwise identify the card as belonging to me.
• I am aware of the fear that accompanies disclosing their sexual orientation or gender identity and agree to respect the confidentiality of anyone who discloses this to me.
• I agree to provide whatever support I can, without judgement, to an individual who comes to me for support.
• I am aware that even without disclosure by anyone, I am a role model for Allies and will agree to challenge, whenever possible, incidents of homophobia and heterosexism.
• I agree to challenge myself on this issue and keep informed about resources and information available on this issue.
• I understand the implication to a young person should I not act in a supportive way or break confidentiality and therefore accept that removal from the Ally card program is possible.
• I agree to have as a goal that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth are happy, healthy and safe in the environment that I am in, knowing that homophobia and heterosexism may be prevalent.
• I agree to act in a professional manner and will not use the Ally card in an inappropriate way or outside the parameters of the program.
• I agree to update my contact information, so that I will be able to receive updated materials.